Rails templates are a great way to get your Rails application configured just the way you like it. Today I updated my Rails template to better reflect my current development environment. It's still 2.3.x template, but will be updated when I start developing with Rails 3.x. Some of the highlights included:
- Bundler for Gem dependencies
- RSpec and Cucumber for testing
- Compass, Sass, Haml and Formtastic for stylesheets and views
- Assumes a Heroku deployment so uses Hassle to work with Sass
- Removes directories and files that are typically used
- Adds a default README to be configured
While this template might not work for you out of the box, hopefully it will give you some ideas on how to create your own.